Brain Attack — A Stroke Survival Guide
America’s Stroke Burden
Stroke kills almost 130,000 Americans each year—that’s 1 in every 18 deaths.
- On average, one American dies from stroke every 4 minutes.
- Every year, more than 795,000 people in the United States have a stroke.
- About 610,000 of these are first or new strokes.
- One in four are recurrent strokes.
- Ischemic strokes happen when blood clots block the blood vessels to the brain.
- About 87% of all strokes are ischemic.
- Stroke costs the United States an estimated $54 billion each year.
- This total includes the cost of health care services, medications, and missed days of work.
- Stroke is a leading cause of serious long-term disability.